References to Explore
- Follow @thotscholar and @ArchivalSex on Twitter!
- [Book] Sex Wars – Lisa Duggan (NYU)
- [Video] Carmencita, 1894, the first woman in front of a Thomas Edison camera, and the first thing to be banned
- [Short Story – and not a very good one] “Hatrack”, a short story about a sex worker who takes her Catholic clients to a Protestant cemetery and vice versa. The story was banned, but HL Mencken reproduced it in his literary magazine. He was arrested in a public spectacle which he orchestrated, making it one of the most famous arrests of a magazine seller during the Comstock enforcement.
- [Video] Papa Joe’s Go Go Controversy, Roanoke, VA, 1965
Transcript coming soon!