Do you have ten minutes to spare on June 25?
We need everyone to start emailing their Senators on Thursday, June 25! Last time we got into the conversation on SESTA/FOSTA, hundreds of Congressmembers had already signed on, having never heard from sex workers/allies on how this would impact them. Lets not let this happen again! While they’re focused on trying to pass aid packages, the offices trying to push this are wasting *no* time. Below is everything you need to call and make your voice heard.
Why are we saying #FUCKEARNIT?
EARN IT would create a group of law enforcement, tech reps and service providers who work on the issue of child abuse to come up with regulations for the internet. Some have already been vocal about wanting to kill user encryption (do you use Signal?). It’s many of the same actors and approaches that brought you SESTA, with an even broader mandate. For more information, check out the Hacking//Hustling page on EARN IT, with a webinar recording, section-by-section explainer of the bill, and more.
How do I tell my Senator NO on EARN IT?
Next week, EARN IT (S. 3398) will be voted on by the Senate Judiciary Committee – this is the last stop before it goes to the full Senate for a yes/no vote. That means that this Thursday we’ll have to call the Senators on the committee and tell them to vote NO on the EARN IT Act. Below is a script and phone numbers for the Senators who will be voting.
Script for your Senator:
I’m writing to urge you not to support or co-sponsor the EARN IT Act, Senate Bill 3398, which the Judiciary Committee is voting on next Thursday, July 2. This bill would compromise the security of people around the world, especially sex workers, LGBTQ people, and young folks. Last year’s passage of SESTA was a grave mistake which destroyed the lives of many and instead of making it right, the same actors are trying to make it worse. Don’t let this happen again. Thank you.
**They’ll ask you if you’re a resident, and may ask your name and zip code.
Senators who are voting next week:
This is the last step before EARN IT heads to the Senate floor, which means not every Senator is voting yet. Below are the Senators who need to hear from their voters by state.
- California: Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D), (202) 224-3841
- California: Sen. Kamala Harris (D), (202) 224-3553
- Connecticut: Sen. Richard Blumenthal, (202) 224-2823
- Delaware, Sen. Chris Coons, (202) 224-5042
- Hawaii: Sen. Masie Hirono, (202) 224-6361
- Idaho: Sen. Mike Crapo, (202) 224-6142
- Illinois: Sen. Dirk Durbin, (202) 224-2152
- Iowa: Sen. Chuck Grassley, (202) 224-3744
- Iowa: Sen. Jodi Ernst, (202) 224-3254
- Louisiana: Sen. John Kennedy, (202) 224-4623
- Minnesota: Sen. Amy Klobuchar, (202) 224-3244
- Missouri: Sen. Josh Hawley, (202) 224-6154
- Nebraska: Sen. Ben Sasse, (202) 224-4224
- New Jersey: Sen. Cory Booker, (202) 224-3224
- North Carolina: Sen. Thom Tillis, (202) 224-6342
- Rhode Island: Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, (202) 224-2921
- South Carolina: Sen. Lindsay Graham, (202) 224-5972
- Tennessee: Sen. Marsha Blackburn, (202) 224-3344
- Texas: Sen. John Cornyn, (202) 224-2934
- Texas: Sen. Ted Cruz, (202) 224-5922
- Utah: Sen. Mike Lee, (202) 224-5444
- Vermont: Sen. Patrick Leahy, (202) 224-4242
What if my Senator isn’t on the list?
Your can still call and alert them to the bill, but your job is to find one person in one of the above states and ask them to call their Senator(s) for you. And follow @HackingHustling to stay updated on EARN IT.